[Mailman-Users] Mailer

claw at kanga.nu claw at kanga.nu
Tue Nov 30 23:59:15 CET 1999

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:45:45 -0700
Kory Wheatley <wheakory at isu.edu> wrote:

> What is the best Mailer agent to use with Mailman. Right now I am
> using sendmail and it seems to be fine.

Sendmail works, but does not perform well.  It is a very
(unnecessarily) complex piece of software which has a long history
of security problem which encourage me to avoid it.  Other possible
choices for an MTA enclude Exim, Postfix, and QMail.

If you look back in the archives for this list a couple weeks ago,
you'll find a fairly thorough coverage of the reasons for making the
various choices,  My own preference is Exim, Barry's preference is
Postfix, others manage to suffer Dan Bernstein and choose QMail.

They all work equally well -- which is to say, far better than
Sendmail.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu