[Mailman-Users] Migration from Majordomo

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at iskon.hr
Fri Nov 26 11:34:06 CET 1999

claw at kanga.nu writes:

> On 25 Nov 1999 10:13:09 +0100
> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic at iskon.hr> wrote:
>
> > Speed also sounds like a potential problem.  Python is a great
> > language, but the current implementation is horribly slow, even
> > compared to other interpreters.
>
> You may wish to re-examine this factoid.

Sorry; I really didn't mean to sound so harsh.

I like Python _a lot_; however several times I got burnt with the
inefficiency of its current implementation, esp. compared to other
advanced interpreters like CLISP or Perl.  If you are interested, we
can discuss my findings in private email, as it's clearly off-topic on
this list.

When I employ a Python script with large datasets, I feel I have to
wait for my computer rather than the other way around.  This makes me
wonder about using Python for "heavy" stuff like large mailing lists.