[Mailman-Users] optimizing mail delivery

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Wed Nov 17 21:52:22 CET 1999

Quoting J C Lawrence (claw at cp.net):
> Your case which you report above is that of a single message with a
> large number of RCPT TOs to the same domain.  There is no wonder in
> that message being delivered to the target MX in a single
> transaction.  The sadness is that if you had had multiple such

You're right, sendmail only does the optimization within a single message, not
across all the messages in the queue.  I've been thinking about another MTA,
but qmail means dealing with Dan B, which I'd rather not do because he's a
horrendous jerk in any newsgroup that dares mention qmail in an
uncomplimentary way, and my only exposure to exim was being yelled at by an
admin at an ISP who had configured his version of exim in a way that was
specifically prohibited by RFC822 and refused to fix it because it "stopped
spam" (at the expense of stopping a great deal of legitimate mail, including
my mailing list).  Is Postfix any better?

--
Paul Tomblin, not speaking for anybody.
SETI at Home:  Finally a *good* way to impress Jodie Foster