[Mailman-Users] Help File

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Tue Nov 16 04:55:31 CET 1999

    CL> You can send mail to listname-request at example.com with a
    CL> subject of help to get a help message specific to the list in
    CL> question, but as far as I know there isn't a generalized help
    CL> message for all lists available anywhere.  (note: replace
    CL> listname with your listname and example.com with the domain
    CL> name of the server :)

    CL> Methinks that if this is the case, mailcmd should return a
    CL> generic message if it doesn't receive a listname as an
    CL> argument on the commandline.

    CL> Is there any reason that this behavior would be undesireable?
    CL> Or should I write a patch?

I think it would be a good thing.  Maybe what it should do is return a
list of the public mailing lists (giving their -request addrs), and a
short excerpt of the general `help' information.

I think it would be a good thing for mailman at mysite.com to return such
an automated response.  Can anybody think of a reason why we shouldn't
do this?

-Barry