[Mailman-Users] Additional Features ??

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Sat Nov 13 04:51:20 CET 1999

Quoting Phillip Porch (root at theporch.com):
> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, AE wrote:
> > A second message received today was to ask if there was a way to block any
> > message that contains an attachment.  The best thing I could tell him, was
>
> I have a python script that strips attachments unless they are plain/text.

I have finally figured out how to get procmail to filter messages before they
get delivered to mailman.  It took a lot of messing around because of
permissions.  This is under RedHat 6.0 Linux, and it's probably not that
different under any other Sendmail 8.9 and procmail setup.

1. The mail aliases for a list look like:
rfc:            "|/usr/bin/procmail -m MAILMAN='rfc' /etc/procmailrcs/mailman"
rfc-admin:      "|/usr/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner rfc"
rfc-request:    "|/usr/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd rfc"
owner-rfc:               rfc-admin
rfc-owner:               rfc-admin

2. /etc/procmailrcs/mailman is a file that belongs to user "mail".  I tried to
make it belong to "mailman", but I got all sorts of permission errors - even
if I recompiled the mailman wrapper to expect the mail to come from user
"mailman".  That file does all my procmail filtering, and at the end, anything
that doesn't get bounced or otherwise filtered gets sent to the mail wrapper
program using:
:0
|/usr/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post ${MAILMAN}

3. For filtering, I use Catherine Hampton's spam filter
(http://www.hrweb.org/spambouncer/), so /etc/procmailrcs/mailman just does the
required setup and then INCLUDERCs that filter, then at the end does the bit
at the end I just mentioned.

4. The spam filter writes to a couple of files in ~mailman/Mail.  Since
unfortunately I had to make /etc/procmailrcs/mailman be owned by "mail"
instead of "mailman", that means that that directory has to belong to and be
writable by "mail".

--
Paul Tomblin, not speaking for anybody.
SETI at Home:  Finally a *good* way to impress Jodie Foster