[Mailman-Users] Cabalists and Users, A question of usage...

Dan Busarow dan at dpcsys.com
Wed Nov 10 21:45:31 CET 1999

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Robert Baskerville wrote:
> Dan Busarow wrote:
> > >
> > > I believe this project might also benefit from the facility of handling
> > > lists in multiple domains on a single system. Has *nobody* tried this?
> >
> > We do.  I'm sure plenty of others do too.  What kind of problems
> > are you having?
>
> Well, most such installations I have seen that do this suffer from a
> problem. If your site handles lists in domain a.com and domain b.com
> can you have *different* lists of the *same* name in the two (or more)
> domains? Majordomo can easily be fooled into handling lists which appear
> in more than one domain, but to have foo at a.com and foo at b.com as different
> distinct lists on the same system tends not to work.

The lists have to have unique names internally but you could set them
up so that their externally visible name is the same.

in /etc/mail/virtusertable

foo at a.com	foo-a
foo at b.com	foo-b

with appropriate aliases setup for each pointing at the internal
name.

I haven't actually done this with mailman but see no reason why
it shouldn't work.  Oh, the html links included in emails would
have to use the internal name, guess there is a problem there. :(

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan at dpcsys.com