[Mailman-Users] Moving Listproc lists

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Tue May 4 00:40:03 CEST 1999

    GC> Also, I had problems subbing more than 20 people at a time;
    GC> all would get subbed, but only 20 or so would get welcome
    GC> messages (containing their new random password).  If you think
    GC> you might have this problem too, use something like this
    GC> instead..

A while back I did a bad thing.  I tried to subscribe ~200k addresses
to a mailing list.  I ran add_members for about 24 hours and ended up
only subscribing ~39k members, so there's no question mass subscribing
a huge list is SLOOOOWW.

The reason this was a bad thing was because I was randomly generating
the (bogus) addresses.  I know the welcome message was being sent out
for them all 'cause our postmaster saw every single one of those
bounces ;-}  It was an accident, I swear!  I meant to turn off sending
the welcome message...

Yeah, we're still on speaking terms, but I had to help him upgrade
from Mailman v 1.0b2 :-)

-Barry