[Mailman-Users] I seek engineering judgment.

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Fri Mar 26 05:19:33 CET 1999

Cameron,

Other people have given you good ideas for hooking in outside of
Mailman.  Mailman has a rudimentary way of calling out to a custom
filter script.  If you set mm_cfg.DEFAULT_FILTER_PROG, then
scripts/post looks for a file by that name in $mailman/filters.  If it
finds this script, it execfile()'s it and then looks for the processed
text in a global attribute called `mailman_text', or it reads stdin
for the text.

To be honest, I've never tested this particular feature, and I'm not
aware of anybody actually using it.  Some sort of filter pipeline
would probably be useful for a future version.

-Barry