[Mailman-Users] I seek engineering judgment.

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Fri Mar 26 00:35:24 CET 1999

I've done no programming with Mailman.  I have a question
whose answer is, I suspect, uncontroversial and well-known.
I don't know it, though, and don't find it in very quick
sweeps through the archives or documents.  I'd be happy to
have someone just tell me it's already been done, and point
me to a reference.

The question is this:  what's a good place to intercept
postings?  I want to feed all Mailman traffic--that is,
all postings to any of the Mailman-managed lists on my host,
but not administrative requests--through an external process
(while still having all the usual e-mail deliveries, archiving,
... proceed as always).  Where can I best do this?  There are
lots of choices; I could slide into the
"/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper post ..." branch, or several
places deeper.  By "good", I think what I most want is a place
that's very loosely coupled with Mailman.  Ideally, I could
overlay a new release of Mailman, and keep all my
functionality either with no change, or a one-liner.