[Mailman-Users] Posting filters not working/Passwords

Richard B. Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Thu Mar 25 06:52:23 CET 1999

On 25 Mar 99, at 0:13, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> John,
>
> I believe both of your problems will be fixed, or work-around-able in
> the next beta, released RRSN.  You don't say what version of Mailman
> you're using, so I'll assume 1.0b9.

>     JCBJ> 1) What can I do, other that fix the passwords, that will
>     JCBJ> allow me to set my list to "Restrict posting privilege to
>     JCBJ> list members"?
>
> It seems that on some systems, using the envelope sender to check
> against member addresses is broken.  Using the envelope sender over
> the From: field is moderately less easy to spoof, but doesn't work for
> everyone.  The next release will have a system-wide default
> USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER that can be set to false to use the From: field
> always.  This ought to fix your problem (I may make this the default
> for the final release).

The interim fix if this is driving you crazy like it was me is to
edit MailList.py and change "sender = msg.GetEnvelopeSender()" on
line 1024 to "sender = msg.GetSender()" and rebuild.

This one consumed almost my full time for three days after I moved my
lists from majordomo to mailman while I searched for a fix. Having to
approve every post on four very busy lists is almost a full time job
all by itself.

Richard B. Pyne, KB7RMU
rpyne at kinfolk.org
http://pyne.kinfolk.org/rbp2