[Mailman-Users] How does Mailman use identd?

Paul Barnett ptb at home.ptb.org
Tue Mar 23 19:51:42 CET 1999

>This is just an MTA doing authentication and logging of its mail
>traffic.  A Good Thing.

Ah, so it wasn't Mailman. It's probably sendmail/qmail/etc.

>> It obviously failed..
>
>Actually non-obviously.  It is not difficult to configure a suitable
>identd daemon on a firewall to give useful returns.

I meant that the authentication failed, because the packets were blocked by
default.  But, it wasn't a fatal error -- the message was still passed and
the subscription succeeded.  All I have to do is add a rule to admit the
packets if I want to do so -- identd is still configured in /etc/inetd.conf.

Thanks for the info.