[Mailman-Users] How about this for the error message?

Christopher Petrilli petrilli at amber.org
Tue Mar 23 16:16:22 CET 1999

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 09:51:09AM -0500, Dan Delaney wrote:
> This is what Mailman returns for by sig if I don't put an "end"
> command":
>
> [ Big ugly stuff deleted ]
>
> That's pretty darn obtrusive, and a little daunting to average Joe
> Shmoe computer user who gets nervous when the computer starts
> yelling at him about errors. So, how about the following instead?

I agree that it's obtrusive, but "oh by the way", the "defacto-standard"
(which I believe Mailman follows, at least I've never gotten a complaint
about it) is that signatures start with a double dash line, then
carriage-return... al'la "--\n(.*)" Which means that it's getting
confused where the "start" of your signature is... just so you know
what's happening.

> Unrecognized line: --Dan
> Unrecognized line: Daniel G. Delaney  *  Dionysos@
> Unrecognized line: PGP Public Key: http://Dionysia
> Unrecognized line: "Only two things are infinite:
> Unrecognized line: and I'm not sure about the form
> Unrecognized line: --Albert Einstein

This looks better to my untrained eyes :-)

Chris