[Mailman-Users] New Bie

Dr. Yongge Wang wang at allmalt.cs.uwm.edu
Wed Mar 17 21:42:34 CET 1999

Hi, I have just installed mailman lists.
when I create a new test list: wangtest
then it told me to add the following lines
to /etc/aliases:

## wangtest mailing list
## created: 17-Mar-1999 root
wangtest:                "|/usr/mailman/mail/wrapper post wangtest"
wangtest-admin:          "|/usr/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner wangtest"
wangtest-request:        "|/usr/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd wangtest"
owner-wangtest:          wangtest-admin
wangtest-owner:          wangtest-admin

And I have added these lines.

Then when I try to subscribe to this list, it goes on and
ask me to confirm.
Then I confirmed by sending an email to:
wangtest-request at ...
And wrong things happens. it says that
|/usr/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd wangtest has
permament error. Indeed, when I send an email to
wangtest-request at ...
with help subject line. The same error appears.
Could any one tell me what is wrong here?

Perhpas the reason is that i must replace the
"mailcmd" and "mailowner" with some other thing??
what will be that??

Thank you very much for your help!!

Another question: When I create a separate
mailman.aliases in mailman directory, and
put the line OA/...mailman
in sendmail.cf. I will get some wrong things
since when I run newaliases, then it will complain that
cannot find : mailman.aliases.db
and also then my mail system will be wrong.
How could i generate the database: mailman.aliases.db

Thank you very much for your help in advance
Sincerely,
Yongge Wang