[Mailman-Users] Large lists and Postfix

bruce at hams.com bruce at hams.com
Tue Mar 16 18:33:53 CET 1999

From: Dave Sill <ds-list-mailman at sws5.ctd.ornl.gov>
> I agree that mailman's web interface is excellent. And given the
> choice between an MLM with an e-mail only interface, and one with a
> good web interface, too, I'd usually prefer the latter. Unfortunately,
> it's not always practical for the list server to be co-located with a
> web server.

You have a point, but I think the best way to deal with this would be to
have Mailman become able to make use of a _remote_MDA_. The admin forms
could simply ask what host to use as the SMTP server for each list. That
would distribute the entire load of list delivery onto one or more
separate MDA hosts, leaving the server upon which Mailman resides with the
load of WWW service, bounce processing, and list management. The actual
subscriber lists should be on the same machine that performs web service,
so that web subscription management will work interactively. Mail delivery
can take place elsewhere. This leaves you with the task of hosting a
virtual domain for list reception and a web server on the same machine,
not much in terms of load but still possibly a pain to get through the
administration of your company. Note however that any unprivileged 486
that you sit on the outside of your firewall would be equal to the task.

> Are you talking about ezmlm, or ezmlm-idx?

I don't know about ezmlm-idx. Smartlist does multiple moderators too, I don't
know if it handles them as well.

	Thanks

	Bruce