[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Possible Fix for password lookup bug

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Mar 3 16:09:59 CET 1999

    CL> So what the original poster was saying is that email addresses
    CL> that have uppercase characters in them are not assigned
    CL> passwords (I've tried it via the Web page and via the
    CL> commandline script, with and without notification).  Another
    CL> odd thing that I've noticed is that addresses with uppercase
    CL> characters in them are always set to MIME instead of plain...

Verified.  Thanks for the recipe, it was crucial to me finding the
bug.  Unfortunately, I don't have time just now to fix it, but it
shouldn't be difficult.  The problem is that addrs in the password
dictionary are kept case-preserved, but the match is done
lower-cased.

    CL> I really think that the case changes should be thought over
    CL> again.  Even though the local domain might not differentiate
    CL> between upper and lower case, what would happen if
    CL> JOEbob at example.com and joebob at example.com both decided to
    CL> subscribe to a list (assuming that example.com differentiated
    CL> between the two for purposes of local delivery)?

The second one ought to be refused as already subscribed.  And the
reason all this extra cruft was put in place was because there really
are some domains that differentiate based on the case of the username
part.  Thus in these domains, if I subscribed with BWARSAW at crufty.com,
but Mailman insisted on sending the mail to bwarsaw at crufty.com, it
would bounce.

-Barry