[Mailman-Users] Re: wishlist (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Mailman 1.0b9)

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Tue Mar 2 22:35:25 CET 1999

Per Starback writes:
 > I wished for:
 >
 > Well, now Mailman supports inserting those infamous Reply-To headers
 > pointing to the list which is infinitely more objectionable.

As usual, know why you shouldn't use it, and why you want to use it in
a particular case. As stated, setting one in an announce list to point
to a discussion list might be useful in many circumstances.

 > subscribers".  We who refuse to do that think that is should be easy
 > *both* to reply (personally) and to follow-up on a message, and that
 > mail programs [should] have different commands for those things.
 > But then a typical follow-up function of your mail program have to
 > actually work, that is to send the follow-up to the list, without you
 > having to edit the recipient list.

The thing that irritates me about this method is that I get two emails
for anything that someone follows up to on a list - one for my address
and one from the list. Of course I've mentioned this before and I
still haven't got around to coding something into mailman's delivery
mechanism so that it doesn't send to anyone who is already in the TO:
and CC: fields. In my copious free time, I suppose.

 > P.P.S. More generally this would be possible with a general "add these
 > headers to list mail" option, which maybe would be useful for other
 > things as well, and easy to implement, I guess.  (Like the "Header
 > added to mail sent to regular list members"/"Header added to every
 > digest" options, but inserting headers instead of text in the body.)

That looks like a good way to implement a general solution. Should it
be able to clobber headers that mailman would otherwise set itself?

John.