[Mailman-Users] posting restrictions still confusing to me (or not working?)

Andy Carpenter Andy.Carpenter at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Mar 2 18:56:46 CET 1999

>I've got a small list for which the following settings control who's
>allowed to post:
>
>Approve by administrator: no
>member_posting_only: yes
>list of additional accepted addresses: khera at kcilink.com
>
>Yet anyone who posts to the list gets deferred for admin approval with
>the error that they must be on the list to post, including myself.
>
>I'm running 1.0b9 (from CVS as of this morning.)

This is probably because the person posting to the list does not have
a password, not that they are not subscribe to the list.  It seems that
adding members to a list using the mass subscribe option of the web
interface without sending a mail message or using the add_members
command line script adds does add members to the list, but does not
set a password for them.  You can set a password by editing the the
subscribers options and giving either the list or site password as the
old password.

    Andy.
--------
Dr Andy Carpenter
Department of Computer Science, University of Manchester, Manchester M13
9PL, UK
Email: Andy.Carpenter at cs.man.ac.uk Tel: +44 161 275 6168 Fax: +44 161 275
6280