[Mailman-Users] mailman password

Greg Stein gstein at lyra.org
Mon Mar 1 23:15:20 CET 1999

Matt Chipman wrote:

> Hello all
>
> In the mailman install docs it says to create a mailman user and group but
> it says nothing about a password.  Being a new linux user i am a little
> unsure about the security on this account. What steps should i take to
> correct this. If i alocate a password will mailman still work correctly?
> What should i do?

On my mailman machine, the mailman account does not have a password. The
only way "into" the account is via root. I su to root (which asks for a
password), then su to mailman (which doesn't since you're root).

Having a password on the mailman account is also fine. You would simply
want to use standard password selection policies. The account is no more
or no less secure than any other.

Cheers,
-g

--