[Mailman-Users] issues with BSD/OS 4.0 and mailman 1.0b8

Vivek Khera khera at kciLink.com
Mon Mar 1 16:01:23 CET 1999

VK> Also, under BSD/OS unix (and most BSD in general) the group
VK> setgid bit is not necessary on directories -- the default
VK> bahavior is to use the directory's group when creating new
VK> files.  Having the setgid bit causes annoying security alerts,
VK> but is otherwise harmless.

BAW> What kind of security alerts?  I think it's probably more common
BAW> (Solaris for sure, Linux??) to require the g+s bit on dirs.

BSD generally does a nightly scan for setuid file changes.  Setgid
directories also come up on the scan when they change, which happens a
lot with mailing list archives.

I just manually un-setgid them... but I have to temporarily setgid the
root directory again when I re-install the software.

It would be nice if configure had an option with --no-setgid-dirs to
turn off this "feature".

VK> The INSTALL document says that the default list for
VK> --with-mail-gid is 'other daemon'.  However, the wrapper on my
VK> system was build to be setgid mailman.

BAW> Do you mean that it was built with mail-gid `mailman' by default?
BAW> This setting anyway is highly dependent on MTA.

I was confused when I installed it.  I thought the program would be
setgid the group it needed to be run as, rather than checking that it
was being run from the proper group and begin setgid mailman.

It turns out that under Postfix, the program is run under GID
"daemon", but the program was checking for group "mail".  So I
hard-coded it according to the instructions in the error message.

								v.