[Mailman-Users] Wrapper error

z at singtel.telcosucks.org z at singtel.telcosucks.org
Mon Jun 21 06:10:59 CEST 1999

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Tom Hallewell wrote:

> Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 23:09:40 -0400
>
> Mailman has been working great for several months until I made a couple
> of changes on the server.
> I had been getting tons of mail errors because the hostname was actually
> an ALIAS according to DNS, so I changed the hostname to the CNAME and
> stopped getting the errors.  Around that same time, I upgraded to RedHat
> 6.0.   Somewhere along the line, I started getting this error everytime
> anyone tries to post to any of our lists:
>
>     ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post be-install"
>     (expanded from: <be-install at techops.rfa.org>)

> sh: wrapper not available for sendmail programs
> 554 "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post be-install"... Service unavailable
>
> Reading between the lines :), it appears that for some reason sendmail
> is no longer allowing wrappers.  Any ideas?

The sendmail shipped with Redhat 6.0 has added security in that it doesn't
allow you to execute any external software unless they are specified by
smrsh. So, what you need to do is type in /etc/smrsh directory
"ln -s /home/mailman/mail/wrapper" and everything should automagically be
working as they used to be. :-)

Regards,
Daniel