[Mailman-Users] Mailman scripts hanging...

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at larsshack.org
Sat Jun 19 00:40:29 CEST 1999

Howdy all,

This may in fact be a python problem, but since python was installed just
so that I can try out mailman I'm not all that familiar with it.

All the mailman scripts appear to hang; this results in a python process
hanging around that starts to ramp up the system load.  I'm running RedHat
(6.0) on a Sparcstation 2, so things get pretty slow when the load goes
up.

python runs by itself just fine (i.e., one gets the interactive prompt),
and even runs trivial scripts (think "hello, world").

Trying to run, for instance, mmsitepass in verbose mode yields a bunch of
output that means nothing to me, but maybe it will mean something to you.
Rather than swamping you with all of it, here's where it stops:

  # /usr/lib/python1.5/string.pyc matches /usr/lib/python1.5/string.py
  import string # precompiled from /usr/lib/python1.5/string.pyc
  import strop # dynamically loaded from
  /usr/lib/python1.5/lib-dynload/stropmodule.so
  # /usr/lib/python1.5/posixfile.pyc matches /usr/lib/python1.5/posixfile.py
  import posixfile # precompiled from /usr/lib/python1.5/posixfile.pyc

And that's all there is.

If you've run into this problem and know a solution I'd love to hear it.
Alternately, if you're sure this is exclusively a python problem, let me
know and I'll go seek assistance elsewhere.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to help out.

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at larsshack.org>