[Mailman-Users] Mailman, Exim -odqr, Python's `own' SMTP, etc.

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Tue Jun 15 20:12:05 CEST 1999

[Ian Jackson]

> So, what would be the canonical Python or Mailman way of doing this ?
> Enclose the body of TrySMTPDelivery in a big `if' ?  Move the body
> into a new function and turn TrySMTPDelivery into a layer of
> indirection ?

Whatever suits your fancy :)

> Is such a change likely to be accepted in any case, or will I have
> to maintain a local version (which means I'll try for the patch with
> the lowest changed-lines-count) ?

If we're opening up for MTA-specific delivery mechanisms (which I
personally am rather sceptical about), I think that the delivery
mechanisms should be redesigned, to be easily subclassable or
somesuch.

Adding ever more `if' tests and layers of indirection is the way to go
if you want to give another very well-known MLM a run for it's
code-readability-"money" ;) -- but I don't think that's where we want
Mailman to go.
--
Harald