[Mailman-Users] Holding some commands

The List Server Administrator at UNH listadm at metaphor.unh.edu
Mon Jun 14 19:42:27 CEST 1999

    Nacho Ruiz recently posted (in part) to the Mailman-Users list:

> It is possible to hold some posts if a specific header value matches?
> I.e.: I want to hold all messages to a list with the subject: subscribe,
> suscribe, etc..
> preventing the list members to see those annonying messages.

     Sorry I don't have an immediate answer to this question, but allow
     me to make some observations.

     This is a feature of ListProc which has a set of regular expressions
     that try to catch this sort of thing -- not only in the subject line
     but in the body as well.  What ListProc does if it detects such a
     message is to forward it to the list owner instead of posting as
     well as alerting the sender that the message has been rejected
     and why.

     It is important part of such a feature that the message be
     redirected to a human since it is not uncommon for the server to
     guess wrong.  There is only so much smarts you can build out of
     regular expressions.  I would think a good approach would be to treat
     such messages as if the list were moderated -- i.e. when detected,
     for that one message ask the list owner for approval before posting.

                                           Cordially,
                                           The List Server Admin
                                           list.admin at unh.edu
                                           (currently Bill Costa)