[Mailman-Users] Newbie can't get everything to work.

Tomas Halvarsson psycho at acc.umu.se
Mon Jun 14 17:43:55 CEST 1999

Good afternoon.

I have some problems setting up Mailman on our system. One of the
problems is that the mail server is an AIX machine, and the www server
is a Linux machine. Installing from the Linux machine _seem_ to work,
but...

I can't get the locks to work. The www server is running Linux 2.2.9,
Apache, and Python 1.5.1 (maybe we will have to upgrade to Python
1.5.2?). The mail server have Python 1.5.2.

Anyway, here's what it looks like when I try to create a new list (on
the Linux machine):

Enter the name of the list: mailman-test
Enter the email of the person running the list: psycho at acc.umu.se
Initial mailman-test password:
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/home/special/mailman/bin/newlist", line 141, in ?
    raise SystemExit(main(sys.argv))
  File "/home/special/mailman/bin/newlist", line 91, in main
    newlist.Create(list_name, owner_mail, pw)
  File "/home/special/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 719, in Create
    self.Lock()
  File "/home/special/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 1274, in Lock
    self._lock_file.lock('w|', 1)
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/posixfile.py", line 190, in lock
    flock = fcntl.fcntl(self._file_.fileno(), cmd, flock)
IOError: (37, 'No locks available')

Creating the list on the AIX machine works, but then I get errors when
trying to do stuff (like subscribing) via www. So the question is: is
this a Mailman or a Python problem? I'd guess it's a Linux/Python
problem, but I'm not sure.

Other Linux users, have you experienced the same problem? If so, how
have you fixed them?

Thanks in advance. (And if this have already been discussed (although
I can't find anything in the archives) I apologize, and would
appreciate a pointer to the posts discussing it.)

/Tomas