[Mailman-Users] Mailman, Exim, and Debian (recipient rejected)

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Sat Jun 12 05:38:36 CEST 1999

[Dave Cinege]

> I had the pleasure of spending 2 hours getting mailman to work. : P
> I didn't find anything in the archives on my specific problem,
> so I'm posting the fix.
>
> Package: exim
> Version: 2.05-1
>
> Package: mailman
> Version: 1.0rc1-1
> This version does not include the INSTALL file. : O

Presumably the debian package maintainer has been notified about this?

> If your exim is setup with good relay controls (aka CORRECTLY!)
> all resends will get rejected with the error:

What do you mean by "resends"?  All attempts Mailman does to
distribute a message to any list's members?

> 1999-05-31 00:07:13 unqualified recipient rejected: <root> H=localhost
> (schizo.psychosis.com) [127.0.0.1] (list)

Ummm... this message says that something (running as user `list'
according to identd) tried issuing a

  RCPT TO:<root>

command after in a session originating from 127.0.0.1.

I'm not quite sure why Mailman would try to send anything at all to
the unqualified address <root>, as Mailman shouldn't allow any
unqualified addresses to be subscribed to lists.

However, there seems to be a loophole in bin/newlist -- if you're
entering a unqualified address as list admin address, it is accepted.
I'll fix this shortly.

It goes without saying (or at least I think it _should_ do :) that
anyone using unqualified addresses as list admins *needs* to configure
their MTA to qualify these addresses for them (or at least accept them
unqualified).  In Exim 2.* this is done by means of setting
qualify_domain, qualify_recipient and
{receiver,sender}_unqualified_{hosts,nets} appropriately -- which I
believe you have neglected to do.

> You must edit /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py (/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/) and
> set USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER = 1.

I can't see how this should have any effect whatsoever on what RCPT
TO: SMTP commands Mailman will issue.  Could you try to elaborate a
bit on the message flow of a Mailman-destined message on your system,
and why such a flow would make this setting necessary?
--
Harald