[Mailman-Users] oddness - please help

Corbett J. Klempay cklempay at chimera.acm.jhu.edu
Wed Jun 2 21:40:03 CEST 1999

Apparently totally out of the blue, our installation stopped working.
There are only 2 of us with root, and neither of us have touched anything.
All of sudden, mail sent to any of the lists disappears into a black
hole, and any attempts to access a mailman-generated page returns Internal
Server Error (500).  I thought maybe whatever it is might clear up by just
doing an upgrade from b11 --> rc1...but even that has issues, as running
configure dies like this:

checking for mailman UID... cat: conftest.out: No such file or directory

configure: error:
***** No "mailman" user found!
***** Your system must have a "mailman" user defined (usually
***** in your /etc/passwd file).  Please see the INSTALL file
***** file details.

However, there _is_ a mailman user...I mean, we've been running mailman
for months and months, and yes, there is an entry for it in /etc/passwd.
Any idea what's causing any of this?

Corbett J. Klempay			         Quote of the Week:
http://www.acm.jhu.edu/~cklempay     "The shifts of fortune test the
				      reliability of friends."