[Mailman-Users] Performance question

Christopher Petrilli petrilli at amber.org
Thu Jul 22 02:53:25 CEST 1999

On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 03:40:01PM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:03:26 -0400
> Jeff Barger <jeff at look.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi all, Just wondering, what are the biggest lists that anyone is
> > running though mailman? I've got a non-profit group I'm getting
> > ready to set a list up for and their current sub list is
> > approx. 100,000 but with pretty light traffic (2-3
> > messages/day). No archiving or anything, just message
> > delivery. Should mailman handle this ok or am I asking for
> > trouble?
>
> While I haven't gone that big, I've gotten close.  Your biggest
> concern is going to be tuning the MTA that MailMan delivers to, not
> MailMan itself.

For what it's worth, I'd use Postfix (http://www.postfix.org).  It blows
sendmail away,and I personally think it's more trustworthy than anything
else (given it's written by Wietse Venema @ IBM).  I'm currently doing
350K mails/day on a K6/200 with nearly zero load.   SMTP is the best way
to pump mail into Postfix, it's optimized for that, not command line
pipes.

Chris