[Mailman-Users] Performance question

Dave Cinege dcinege at psychosis.com
Wed Jul 21 22:21:44 CEST 1999

Jeff Barger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering, what are the biggest lists that anyone is running
> though mailman? I've got a non-profit group I'm getting ready to set
> a list up for and their current sub list is approx. 100,000 but with
> pretty light traffic (2-3 messages/day). No archiving or anything,
> just message delivery. Should mailman handle this ok or am I asking
> for trouble?

The issue is not with mailman but with your MTA and internet pipe.
300K peices of mail a day is starting to get 'up there'.

I would not even play around with sendmail. Go right to exim, qmail, or
zmailer.

Exim set to queue all mail and then running the queue once a day (or every few
days) will cause all mail to get delivered to a destination in a single batch,
but this may not be the desired effect if you need speedy delivery.

I've never used it, but according to it's debian package description, zmailer
is bult for speed:

Mailer for Extreme Performance Demands This is a package that
implements an internet Message Transfer Agent called ZMailer. It is intended
for gateways or mail servers or other large site environments that have extreme
demands on the abilities of the mailer. It was motivated by the problems of the
Sendmail design in such situations. ZMailer is one of the mailers able to deal
with huge quantities of mail and is more efficient any other mailer, qmail
included, mostly due to its excellent queueing algorithms.

--
http://www.linuxrouter.org/     Linux Router Project

Over 750,000 people are now in jail for consensual 'crimes'. 2 million more
are now on parole or probation. 4 million more will be arrested this year.
Would someone please remind how 'free' America is again?