[Mailman-Users] sender/envelope addresses esp with mailed commands

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at vdata.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 11:14:29 CEST 1999

bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us said:
> However, if your ISP is inserting an unqualified Sender: address into
> outgoing mail it is broken.  You say fixing this is not really an
> option, though I don't understand why that is (it what way does it
> impact many other people's systems?).  If that's really the case I
> don't know what you can really do.

The Netscape MTA (ugh - but it has its uses as a test bed) inserts an
unqualified sender line into the message.  I do not believe that an MTA
should be trying to fix up (    NM> I tried just stripping the sender
header (assuming that would probably wrongly) message headers broken
like this, so the ISP has no chance to fix it.

    NM> I tried just stripping the sender header (assuming that would
    NM> cause a drop back to From: headers as is implied in the FAQ
    NM> etc), and managed to completely break list posting :-(
bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us said:
> I don't understand this part.  Where did you strip the Sender: header?
> Look at IncomingMessages.GetSender() in Mailman/Message.py.  It
> definitely falls back to using From: if Sender: doesn't exist.

I stripped the sender within my MTA (deleting a header is easy - fixing
it in this case is close to impossible).  I think the posting breaking
was a side effect of trying to many experiements at once and
misunderstanding some of the config trade offs in Mailman.  I'll come
back on this when I finally work out exactly what I broke.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]