[Mailman-Users] Running Mailman, webs server and mail transport on separate servers.

Greg Stein gstein at lyra.org
Thu Jan 21 04:45:32 CET 1999

John Morton wrote:
> We've got a collection of clients with virtual domain web sites hosted
> on both a Linux box and an NT box. Mailman (and the mail transport)
> reside on another machine.
>
> We want to be able to supply mailing list services to clients whose
> customized web interfaces appear to live under there domain
> (ie. http://site.on.the.NT.box/mailman/listinfo/theirlist) but all the
> action actually happens on the mail machine.
>
> My current guess is that this will require setting 'Host name this
> list prefers' and 'Base URL form Mailman web interface' options to the
> particular virtual domain, and setting up wrapper scripts on the web
> machine that pass the cgi arguments to the real cgi program on the
> mail machine via ssh. And a quick look at the Defaults.py shows that
> the SMTP server can be pointed to something other than localhost
> (though that's not an issue here).

I run a similar setup: the relevant machines are: three Linux boxes and
an NT box; one Linux box is the list machine, another Linux is the mail
exchanger, the third Linux box and the NT box are web servers. In my
case, I configure a new hostname: mailman.domain.com and set that to the
Base URL.

For example: