[Mailman-Users] Strange Problem.

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Wed Feb 24 22:13:40 CET 1999

[Michael Quigley]

> "|/d0/mailman/mail/wrapper post webmaster"
>     (expanded from: webmaster at goingv.com)

> 554 "|/d0/mailman/mail/wrapper post webmaster"... unknown mailer error 1

This indicates that the "wrapper" binary or something exec()d by it,
exit()ed with a status 1 (indicating that something failed).

The first thing to suspect is that "wrapper" is being run under the
wrong gid.  If that is the case, it tries logging this to syslog.  The
fix is either to reconfigure mailman with the "--with-mail-gid" option
(and then rebuild and reinstall), or else configure your MTA to run
the pipe under the correct gid.

[ If mrxadmin has a .forward file containing "webmaster at goingv.com",
  the MTA doing the local delivery to mrxadmin is the same as the one
  expanding "webmaster at goingv.com" into a Mailman pipe (via som alias
  file), your MTA might be taking a shortcut:

  1. Mail arrives for mrxadmin, a local user.
  2. MTA changes UID (and GID) to mrxadmin prior to delivery.
  3. Local delivery discovers .forward file.
  4. Since the address in the .forward file is expanded to a pipe
     locally, the local delivery process running as mrxadmin tries
     delivering to the Mailman pipe.
  5. Mailman notices that it's run under the incorrect GID, and
     rejects the message.

  If this is what's going on, I'm not sure why the messages are
  delivered to the members on the Mailman list anyway.

  I know how to configure Exim so that it doesn't take such shortcuts
  -- if you are using some other MTA, you'll have to ask someone
  familiar with that MTA for help on configuration. ]

If those GIDs aren't the problem, you might get a traceback of where
things fail if you configure your MTA to return any output the pipe
generates along with the delivery report.  Again, I only how to do
this in Exim.
--
Harald