[Mailman-Users] use of name "mailman"

James Strickland james at perforce.com
Mon Feb 22 23:46:55 CET 1999

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Christopher G. Petrilli wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 01:54:45PM -0800, James Strickland wrote:
> > There is also a problem with the name incorporating the word "man", so if
> > there is a need to change the name I think a gender-neutral name should be
> > chosen.
>
> <SARCASM>Definately, we should use something like PostalDeliveryPerson
> as the name</SARCASM>
>
> Seriously, unless Mailman is a trademark, then I don't see a reason to
> change, this is the common usage of the term for all those not PC
> impared.

<STOOPINGTOYOURLEVEL>Or spelling impaired, I suppose.</STOOPINGTOYOURLEVEL>

FWIW, IMHO there are problems with using "man" to somehow, magically, mean
"person".  I don't suppose you've ever heard of kids who don't believe
it's possible for a woman to be a firefighter or a letter carrier? I have.
If you believe it's ok for our kids to grow up with such prejudices, then
you, in the words of the other objector, have your head on wrong.

--
James Strickland
Ever heard of someone shovelling personure in Personitoba?