[Mailman-Users] use of name "mailman"

Greg Stein gstein at lyra.org
Mon Feb 22 23:12:42 CET 1999

James Strickland wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Christopher Kolar wrote:
>
> > Sorry to bug you all with this (not being on the developers' list myself),
> > but I was wondering if I am the only person to wonder about the use of the
> > name "Mailman."  It is used by Endymion (www.endymion.com) for both the
> > commercial and the (excellent, free) standard versions of their WWW-POP3
> > interface software.  I am running both on the same server and about once or
> > twice a day get confused over which I am reading about.  Apart from the
> > confusion of a few users, maybe the development team should look into the
> > use of the name (from a legal perspective).
>
> There is also a problem with the name incorporating the word "man", so if
> there is a need to change the name I think a gender-neutral name should be
> chosen.

What is the problem with "man" being in there?

Don't go all PC on us here. "Mailman" is an appropriate term, simply
because of the connotations of a guy back in the 50's bringing the mail
to your door. If it was named "Mailperson", then people would think
somebody has their head on wrong.

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/