[Mailman-Users] Mailman & QMail

Martin Preishuber Martin.Preishuber at stuco.uni-klu.ac.at
Sat Feb 20 23:24:20 CET 1999

Hi again,

Ok, now I found out most of the things which were not clear to me
(and probably for some more QMail users):

1. I've created a user with name "mailman" ... when setting
   up the aliases mailman and mailman-owner, mailman-owner will not
   be found unless you do a touch .qmail-owner in the home directory
   of mailman

2. With QMail many people try to avoid relaying (so do I), so
   mailman can't send mail in most cases. Mailman does (when
   doing a newlist) something like:

import Mailman.Utils
Mailman.Utils.SendTextToUser("test", "text",
"preisl at stuco.uni-klu.ac.at", "mailman-owner at ftp.uni-klu.ac.at")

   where preisl at stuco is the recipient and mailman-owner at ftp is
   the sender ... SendTextToUser does _not_ report an error ...
   when reproducing this by hand:

[root at ftpsrv /root]# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ftpsrv.sci.uni-klu.ac.at ESMTP
mail from: mailman-owner at ftp.uni-klu.ac.at
250 ok
rcpt to: preisl at stuco.uni-klu.ac.at
553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

   then you see, that qmail doesn't relay for that host, so
   from my point of view mailman will only send mail to the hosts
   setup in rcpthosts ... is this right ?

Thanks for your patience :)

Martin

--
Martin Preishuber - Student, ECLiPt Core Member, SysAdmin
http://eclipt.uni-klu.ac.at,
mailto:Martin.Preishuber at stuco.uni-klu.ac.at

Some rise by sin and some by virtue fall.