[Mailman-Users] Re: how to fix auto-generated archive html

paz paz at apriori.net
Fri Feb 19 21:27:31 CET 1999

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, David Rocher wrote:

: On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 09:11:02AM +0000, paz wrote:
: > Is this something I can fix? I've hunted around in the mailman home
:
: . remove $prefix/archives/private/<listname>
: . edit $prefix/archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox [optionnal]
: . run $prefix/bin/arch <listname>
: 	$prefix/archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox

*** First, thanks mucho to David! Worked wonderfully.

*** Second - if it helps anyone else, who (like me) isn't entirely as
swift as we could be, here's a literal of what I did. I initially was
confused, and thought David's instructions were indicating something about
sourcing executables named "remove" and "run" from the "." in csh
derivatives.

As root:
1. Remove the particular list's archive. (Don't worry - the actual posted
articles will survive this!):

	# cd $prefix/archives/private
	# rm -fr <listname>

2. Edit the list's .mbox file if necessary in order to remove any unwanted
archive materials. This may be totally unneccesary. I used the editor
"pico":

	# pico $prefix/archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox

3. Regenerate the list's archive with the arch command. This is a long
statement, so the command-line will wrap. I've indicated the wrap with a
back-slash:

	# $prefix/bin/arch <listname> \
          $prefix/archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox

*** Third, thanks to all the folks working on Mailman. I've managed a
couple of small lists at a service provider for several years and recently
set up a FreeBSD server at home, eliminating Internet latencies in editing
stuff remotely, and vitually eliminating quotas. I've moved one mail list
to apriori.net and will be starting up a few others in time.

*** Fourth, an integrated search tool would be wonderful. For me, the
magic is in cgi scripts to do this; but you've already done so much, in
automagically re-generating web pages each time there's a change or a
posting. Seems like it would be a matter of integrating such a script (or
scripts). It's too bad I don't know enough to help!

*** Lastly - I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, or if it's
peculiar to my installation, but while trying to remotely administer my
lists, I've noticed that:

a.) I must re-enter the password every time I click on a new selection to
edit; and
b.) Again, only while remotely administering (not on console), I can only
see the first page full of subscribers. When I click on the link for the
second page, only the first page of the subscriber listing re-loads.

cheers & thanks again -
-- Philip.

philip zimmermann       paz@(no-spam)-apriori.net
www.apriori.net         ayer, ma  usa