[Mailman-Users] Messages silently disappearing

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Feb 18 01:48:29 CET 1999

    ESM> The message is archived, and a log entry is made in the
    ESM> "post" log about the message, and that's it. Nothing is sent
    ESM> to anyone.

I was composing a follow up when my machine crashed so apologies for
the terseness as I re-compose this msg.

Back in August, Ken identified a problem on Linux systems that was
causing some duplicate messages to be sent.  Sort of opposite problem
to what Edward and Wes are seeing, but possibly related.  The core
problem that Ken identified was:

 - On linux systems, scripts forked by the object executables (eg, the
   wrapper executables) do inherit the effective gid that the wrappers
   wants them to get - but then, scripts forked by *those* scripts do
   not!

I wonder if this could be the cause problem you guys are seeing?  In
my 5 minutes testing on my RH5.1 system, I couldn't reproduce this.
Wes is using SuSE, but that shouldn't make a difference should it?
Unless there's some configuration option to control this and our Linux
box is configured differently.  Or I just screwed up.

I've never seen this problem on Solaris, and I am by no means a Linux
expert.  I've never run Mailman on a Linux box.  But I am eager to
find the root cause of this problem and to figure out what we can do
about it (even if it's just fix the documentation).

Would it be possible for one of you guys who is seeing the problem to
give me an account on your machine so I can try a few things?

-Barry