[Mailman-Users] Cron <mailman at acm> /usr/bin/python /home/mailman/cron/gate_news (fwd)

Greg Stein gstein at lyra.org
Mon Feb 15 18:05:06 CET 1999

Harald Meland wrote:
> [ From reading the documentation for the "marshal" module, I don't
>   really understand why Mailman uses the seemingly (mildly) inferior
>   "marshal" module for persistant objects, when e.g. "pickle" and
>   "shelve" are readily available.  OTOH, it could be me reading too
>   much into the wording of the documentation... ]

compared to pickle and shelve, marshal is blazingly fast.

With the advent of Jim Fulton's cPickle, the difference is much
narrower. It would be possible to use cPickle instead of marshal.
However, if you don't need the extra functionality, then there isn't a
lot of reason to use the extra complexity.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/