[Mailman-Users] Problems creating a list

Greg Stein gstein at lyra.org
Wed Feb 10 22:48:54 CET 1999

J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:09:58 -0600 (CST)
> Christopher Lindsey<lindsey at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
> > Anyhow, RFC 822 says that the localpart of an addr-spec is
> > comprised of either an atom or quoted-string.
>
> I don't have time to quote chapter and verse right now.  However the
> local part (the user ID) can be case sensitive.  It usually isn't,
> but it can be and on some unnamed platorms it is (I know CLIX's
> default sendmail installation was cese sensitive, but that's a long
> time ago).  Automatically mutating the case of local parts, in
> whatever fashion, unless you are guaranteed that the local platform
> is case insensitive (we're not), is a Bad Idea.

* Mailman records the MAILING LIST ADDRESS is lower case. You can tweak
the case in the General Options screen

* I believe that Mailman retains the case of all subscribers, although
it seems to break on their options page if they have upper case (e.g.
"send me my password").

* newlist should lower-case the command-line argument

* Mailman's platform is Unix, AFAIK. I'm unaware of case-sensitive
mailers for Unix. Are you saying SGI boxes are case-sensitive with their
mailer?

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/