[Mailman-Users] Problems using populate_new_list

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Fri Feb 5 17:05:25 CET 1999

[Christopher G. Petrilli]

> I'm getting problems adding peopel to the list... using
> populate_new_list.... did I miss something somewhere?

[...]

>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 147, in DeliverToUser
>     if not os.fork():
> OSError: [Errno 35] Resource temporarily unavailable

I'll have another go at interpreting Python tracebacks, never mind my
recent fiasco... Sorry about that (and thanks, Scott, for providing
the proper answer).

os.fork() seems to raise and OSError exception, saying some resource
is unavailable.  I guess populate_new_list forks off one "send welcome
text" process for each user you're adding, and your machine runs out
of memory or filehandles or whatever.

Maybe populate_new_members should catch this exception, go to sleep
for a while (until the spawned delivery processes are (most probably)
done) and then try to resume?

For now, however, you should be able to get away with splitting up the
list of subscribers you're trying to add, and add them a chunk at a
time.
--
Harald