[Mailman-Users] Totally lost Newbie needs a bit more help.

tenant tenant at tenant.net
Wed Dec 29 18:48:03 CET 1999

Thanks to those who responded to my plea. The suggestion was to do the
install as root. It worked -- even though the instructions said not to do
it as root. Go figure!

So I've gotten well down on the list. I have a rudimentry understanding of
apache configuration, but certainly not expert.

I created the list "test" and received the email telling us to go to:

  http://www.tenant.net/admin/test

OK, so it doesn't work and I get a 404. Looking at some old messages from
the list, I erase the previous changes to access.conf and add the following
(not sure about the mailmanlog directory as it doesn't exist):

# stuff for mailman
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /home/mailman/cgi-bin/
#Alias /mailmanlogo/ /home/mailman/logo/
Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory /home/mailman>
allow from all
Options FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

So on a hunch, I edit the URL on my browser to read"

http://www.tenant.net/mailman/admin/test

and sure enough I get the password page for the admin functions. But this
is not what is reflected on the email I received. So it the apache config
worng? Or is it something in the mm_cfg.py file? Seems as it's OK as long
as I use the URL above, but the program things it is something else.

Thanks again!
John Fisher
TenantNet

The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
   TenantNet(tm):          http://tenant.net
   email:                  tenant at tenant.net
   NYtenants(tm) Discussion List: email to majordomo at list.tenant.net
   and in the body of the message put "subscribe nytenants".
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.