[Mailman-Users] Totally lost Newbie needs help, Please

tenant tenant at tenant.net
Wed Dec 29 01:52:15 CET 1999

We would appreciate guidance from members of this list. After yearss of
being hosted by an ISP and ussing Majordomo, we've moved to our own
co-located server running Redhat Linux 6.1 that we administer. Our
understanding of Linux is limited. Any help will be appreciated.

Following the install directions, we created a mailman account at
/home/mailman. Also created group mailman -- and chmod'd as per install
instructions.

$ whereis python
python: /usr/bin/python1.5 /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/python1.5

$ whereis gcc
gcc: /usr/bin/gcc /usr/man/man1/gcc.1

So when we run configure, we get:

$ ./configure --with-mail-gid=12 --with-cgi-gid=nobody
./configure: ./config.log: Permission denied
./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
./configure: confdefs.h: Permission denied
creating cache ./config.cache
./configure: ./config.cache: Permission denied
checking for --with-python... ./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
checking for python... ./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
/usr/bin/python
checking Python interpreter... ./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
/usr/bin/python
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
/usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... ./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
./configure: conftestmake: Permission denied
no
checking for true... ./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
/bin/true
checking for --without-gcc... ./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
no
checking for gcc... ./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... ./configure: 5: Bad file
descriptor
./configure: conftest.c: Permission denied
./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
./configure: 5: Bad file descriptor
no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
   TenantNet(tm):          http://tenant.net
   email:                  tenant at tenant.net
   NYtenants(tm) Discussion List: email to majordomo at list.tenant.net
   and in the body of the message put "subscribe nytenants".
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.