[Mailman-Users] Re: My God! - Our List Host Is Dropping the use of Mailman

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Dec 8 05:58:14 CET 1999

    ESM> Actually, they aren't guesswork; they both use the same
    ESM> bounce format (QSBMF), and it's incredibly simple to deal
    ESM> with. The URL to see for DJB's specification for it is:

    ESM>         http://cr.yp.to/proto/qsbmf.txt

    ESM> You'll probably be seeing DSN support coming for Postfix in a
    ESM> while too.

Wonderful document, thanks for the pointer!  Next best thing to an RFC
:) Hopefully I can fold Qmail.py and Postfix.py into a single module
now.  BTW, there are MTAs out there with bounce formats that really
/do/ seem to require guesswork, er, reverse engineering.  Some are
even more horrible, containing nothing discernable as a mailing list
address at all. :(

Cool to hear that Postfix will soon be supporting DSN.  BTW, in
Python's case, it's actually rather easy to deal with MIME DSN
reports.  It could be trivial, but Python's MIME handling modules
could use a serious makeover.

Again, thanks for the pointer,
-Barry