[Mailman-Users] Re: [Exim] Exim and mailman - HOWTO

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Wed Aug 25 20:10:16 CEST 1999

[Nigel Metheringham]

> ## List existence checks are done by seeing if the file
> ## /home/mailman/lists/<list>/listinfo.html
> ## exists.

First, a warning: This relies on internal Mailman directory
structures, which is liable to change in future versions (e.g. to
avoid collision problems with several lists having the same
(localpart) name when housing multiple mail domains in one Mailman
installation).

Next, wouldn't checking for the existence of config.db be better?  The
Mailman code goes to great lengths to ensure that a valid config.db is
present at all times -- I'm not sure (haven't checked) that the same
is true for listinfo.html.  Besides, internal parts of Mailman (like
the listinfo overview page) uses existance of config.db as a (first)
test of whether the list is present or not.

There also is a potential problem with this configuration that ought
to be mentioned: If you are housing several mail domains
(e.g. foo.domain and bar.domain) within the same Mailman installation,
creating a list which should only be reachable at <gazonk at foo.domain>
is impossible.  The list will also be reachable as <gazonk at bar.domain>
as only the localpart of the mailinglist address is used for the file
existance test.

Other than that, it is a nice hack.  Thanks :)

>  - Mailman's detection of exim bounces needs improving - it really
>    should make use of the extra header information that exim
>    provides.  It also should recognise and deal with or ignore
>    delay warning messages.

I believe Barry mentioned some plans for a grand bounce detection
overhaul post Mailman-1.0.

> Hope this stuff helps, and it would be nice if it could be
> integrated into the exim and/or mailman FAQs.

I'll try to whip something up.
--
Harald