[Mailman-Users] Re: Usenet gating and archiving

Stephan Spencer sms at netconcepts.com
Tue Apr 13 01:58:12 CEST 1999

We're using Mailman to gateway a Usenet newsgroup and email list. I'm
curious, is that "severe breakage" in the archives that Barry Warsaw
mentioned in his Apr 2 post fixed yet?

What Usenet newsgroups out there are being successfully moderated using
Mailman? misc.industry.printing is the only one that I know of.

Also on the topic of moderating, it would be really useful if we could set
up one or more "stationery" replies, which the moderator would choose from
if rejecting a post (i.e. through a pulldown), rather than having to type
in the responses to rejections over and over again. It would be ideal if
the moderator could select a stationery from a pulldown, then once the
appropriate stationery has been selected, the textarea would display that
stationery response, which the moderator could tweak if s/he wanted to. If
the moderator selected the "no stationery" option from the pulldown, then
s/he could type in whatever they wanted into the textarea or leave it
blank. If I knew Python, I'd help you guys build this functionality...

As an interim solution, I've gone in to the code that displays the "If you
reject this post, explain" textarea and modified it to include a "Thank
you but we're sorry..." message along with a link to the group charter
inside the textarea. In fact, it might be a good idea to have a variable
where such a message can be defined, but which could be defined
differently for each list that is being moderated. Such a solution would
not be the "ideal" stationery solution, but it would still be a timesaver.
Just a thought...

Cheers,
Stephan