[Mailman-Users] Possible bug, duplicate messages

Greg Connor gconnor at nekodojo.org
Mon Apr 12 00:47:01 CEST 1999

Hello.  This is the first day of activity on a new mailman list, changed
over last night from a Listproc list with 290 members.  Pretty standard
stuff...  our MTA is Sendmail 8.8.7.

First few messages went OK, but one out of the first four message seems to
have gone out to everyone twice.  According to the logs, Mailman received
one copy and sent out two; maybe the first attempt gave Mailman an error or
other seizure... but nothing shows up in logs/error or logs/smtp-failures.

This is using 1.0b9, so apologies if this is already is found and fixed...
I don't remember seeing anything about it on the list yet though.  I
haven't turned on logging for mail.debug, which is probably the next step,
but I would only want to keep a debug log on for a short time for fear of
filling up my disk :)

I am also thinking this might be related to the problem that caused welcome
messages to fail for a mass-subscribe attempt (it works when I subscribe 15
at a time, but subbing 280 at a time caused add_members to barf and most of
the welcome messages to not go out).  Are there any config issues or things
to watch out for with Sendmail?  Has anyone seen a duplicate messages
problem before?

Here were the offending transactions
Apr 11 14:11:38 poly sendmail[6992]: OAA06992: from=<thinkgreen at home.com>,
size=
2240, class=0, pri=32240, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<4.1.19990411083556.0372d3e0 at mail>, pr
oto=ESMTP, relay=imail at ha1.rdc1.sdca.home.com [24.0.3.66]

Apr 11 14:12:02 poly sendmail[7013]: OAA07013:
from=<poly-admin at polyamory.org>,
size=2775, class=-60, pri=1670775, nrcpts=52,
msgid=<4.1.19990411083556.0372d3e0
@mail>, proto=ESMTP, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]

Apr 11 14:12:02 poly sendmail[7021]: OAA07021: