[Mailman-Users] REPLY-TO oddity

Marc L. Allen allen at chesapeake.tokheim.com
Fri Apr 9 14:39:51 CEST 1999

So... you're saying that the REPLY-TO field is generated or being
rewritten by sendmail and isn't something that Mailman is miswriting?

As for using maillist.x.y.z, it makes it easier to move the list server
at a later date if I want to.  It doesn't have to be at the primary MTU
site.  Also, I happen to control the x.y.z domain, but not the y.z
domain.

I guess my confusion is that Mailman writes the TO: field to be the
correct address, list at maillist.x.y.z, so why doesn't it write the
REPLY-TO: field the same way?

Thanks,

Marc

Rick Robino wrote:

> You don't have to alias one host name to another. Modern MTA's will
> handle aliases just fine (it's up to the resolver anyway), as long as
> an alias eventually leads to and answer from a real A record. I don't
> see the point here of an alias though, except that maillist.x.y.z is
> more intuitive for the user. I am assuming that x is not a subdomain,
> but it shouldn't really matter as long as you have your dots right ;-)
> I suppose you need the x...?

<snip>

* Marc L. Allen                         *                              *
* Principal Architect                   * "If we had told you it was   *
* Information Technology Manager        * impossible, you'd never have *
*                                       * gone off and done it."       *
* Tokheim Technology Center             *                              *
* (757) 366-4185                        *    -- The Phantom Tollbooth  *
* allen at chesapeake.tokheim.com          *                              *