[Mailman-Users] permission woes...

ricardo at miss-janet.com ricardo at miss-janet.com
Sun Apr 4 13:10:24 CEST 1999

Hi,

I'm in the process of switching  a mailinglist from  majordomo to
mailman... after a few sleepless nights i got a test list
running with mailman. The reason why it took so long was that
i needed to upgrade python to 1.51 to get it to actually do
something (v1.5 that comes with slackware didnt seem to work like it should)
but since i'm running qmail i thought it was a qmail problem.
Anyway i till have one problem left: the digest doesn't work yet, cron
sends me this:
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 41, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 38, in main
    list.SendDigestIfAny()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Digester.py", line 198, in SendDigestIfAny
    self.SendDigestOnSize(0)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Digester.py", line 210, in SendDigestOnSize
    self.SendDigest()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Digester.py", line 250, in SendDigest
    topics_file = open(os.path.join(self._full_path, 'next-digest-topics'),
IOError: (13, 'Permission denied')

i know my directories are probably not setup correctly (the cron is setup
for user mailman btw) ... but i have no idea what exactly should be the
permissions on/in the the $prefix/list/listname but there seems to be no easy way
to find out exactly what's going wrong... i noticed there are a few files
with uid "alias" (the one qmail uses) so i it can write in that directory.
i didnt do a "make install" as user  mailman because it looks like that
you're not allowed to set the GID bits as non-root :(
in the malman-users mailinglist archive (doesn't any1 want to index it with
http//www.htdig.org? :) ) i read that some linux systems give trouble with
the gid-thingy... maybe this can be the problem?

hmm maybe i should try switching it to a virtual qmail domain instead
of using ~alias...? but i'm afraid that i might trip  on other problems there
and it already has taken me too much time :(

Thanks,

Ricardo.