[Mailman-Users] Pointers to using mailman with exim

J C Lawrence claw at varesearch.com
Fri Apr 2 04:54:12 CEST 1999

On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 21:30:11 -0500
Joshua E Rodd <jerodd at noah.dhs.org> wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to use mailman with exim. What I don't
> understand is how to route mail from exim to mailman. I tried
> adding aliases to send mail from mylistname and mylistname-request
> to mailman, but that just ended up in /var/spool/mail/mailman
> getting appended. What am I missing?

You need two stanzas in your exim config for running mailman under
exim.  They are required so that the UID and GID are set
appropriately for delivering mail to mailman, and to read the
appropriate aliases file for mailman.

First you need a transport:

  mailman_list_pipe:
    driver = pipe
    allow_commands = /home/mailman/mail/wrapper
    user = mailman
    group = mail
    return_fail_output

Then you need a director:

  mailman_lists:
    driver = aliasfile
    search_type = lsearch
    file = /home/mailman/data/aliases
    pipe_transport = mailman_list_pipe

Note that I keep all my mailman specific aliases in
/home/mailman/data/aliases rather than /etc/aliases.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                        Internet: claw at varesearch.com
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...