[Mailman-Users] mailman dies insider deliver...

Ken Manheimer klm at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Sep 3 05:18:02 CEST 1998

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Joseph T. Bore wrote:

> after installing b5, with python 1.5, and chmod'ing all the
> appropriate directories according to all the messages in the archive I
> am still experiencing problems.  No mail is being delivered.  If I
> mail to any mailing list on my machine the following shows up in the
> mailman logs.  Any help is greatly appreciated since all my lists have
> broke... 8(
>
> jb
>
> Sep 02 00:10:46 1998 deliver (child): Traceback (innermost last):
> deliver (child):   File "/home/mailman/scripts/deliver", line 154, in ?
> deliver (child):      main()
> deliver (child):   File "/home/mailman/scripts/deliver", line 49, in main
> deliver (child):      do_child()
> deliver (child):   File "/home/mailman/scripts/deliver", line 57, in do_child
> deliver (child):      spawns = string.atol(sys.stdin.readline()[:-1])
> deliver (child): ValueError :  empty string for atol()

The deliver script is invoked (via a pipe) by Deliverer.DeliverToList,
and should always be getting the number of spawns as its first stdin
line, at least as of 1.0b5.  You should check to see that the version of
Deliverer.py you have (in the Mailman/ dir) is the same as the one i've
attached here.  Another possibility is that you've situated the new
installation somewhere besides the old one, and the old one is somehow
getting invoked, eg via old aliases, but then calling the new one.

Anyway, start with checking what i mention, and get in touch with me
via email to let you know what you find.  We'll try to sort this out via
email and get back to the list with our conclusion.

Ken Manheimer		  klm at python.org	    703 620-8990 x268
	    (orporation for National Research |nitiatives

	# If you appreciate Python, consider joining the PSA! #
		  # <http://www.python.org/psa/>. #