[Mailman-Users] Sun recommended patches breaks python/mailman, help!

Ken Manheimer klm at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Oct 29 01:27:32 CET 1998

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Farul Ghazali wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Tomas Fasth wrote:
>
> > [Guidance to help eke out the cause of farul's problem.]
>
> Somehow I figured out that this was a permissions problem, apparently the
> cgi-bin directory needs to have the set-gid bit set.

(This is currently taken care of in the 'make finish' section of the
install, which is supposed to be run as root.  I'm not sure if that was
the case with whatever version you were working with.)

> Thanks for the sympathy :) However, the situation seems to be normal for
> now, I went and got the latest cvs revisions, compiled a fresh copy of the
> latest python and apache. I did back out of the y2k patches however, so
> that's something I'm going to have to redo later in life :-)
>
> So, the conclusion is, get the latest revision of mailman (pre 1.0b6?)
> along with the latest versions of python/apache and it technically should
> work. Now I have to figure out why my damn console is coming out in all
> caps :-(

Except for the apparent difficulties with the y2k patches (and the damn
console caps - i think i'm going to wait until the end of 1999 before
trying out the y2k patches...-), it's great news that the pre-1.0b6
install is working for you.  And many thanks to tomas fasth for chipping
in to help people.  This really is the spirit of open source...

Ken Manheimer		  klm at python.org	    703 620-8990 x268
	    (orporation for National Research |nitiatives

	# If you appreciate Python, consider joining the PSA! #
		  # <http://www.python.org/psa/>. #